Preview release notes
These are the release notes for Sophos Anti-Virus for macOS Preview.
You may find that you cannot yet download and use the latest version on the list below. This is because Sophos releases the software over a number of days, but publishes the release notes on the first day.
Version 9.9.8 New
|MACEP-4973||Resolved blank captive portal.|
|MACEP-4657||Improved device control support for large capacity removable storage devices to ensure that they are blocked after restart.|
This release contains performance improvements.
|MACEP-4493||Resolved an intermittent issue where web pages may fail to load.|
|MACEP-4600||Improved memory usage when Threat Case creation is enabled.|
|MACEP-4602||Resolved an issue with modified permissions on the man8 directory when using disk encryption.|
|MACEP-4606||Improved support for macOS 10.15 Catalina when using MDM profiles.|
- This release contains improved support for macOS 10.15 Catalina.
Version 9.9.4 Updated
- This release contains support for macOS 10.15 Catalina.
- This release contains security and performance improvements.
The threat detection engine version is 3.77.1. For information about the threat detection engine, see the Sophos Threat Detection Engine release notes.
|MACEP-4414||Resolved an intermittent issue on macOS 10.14 Mojave where the Captive Network Assistant page could fail to load.|
|MACEP-4314||Resolved an issue in which Sophos Anti-Virus may incorrectly report successful updates as failures.|
The threat detection engine has been updated to 3.76.0. For information about the changes to the threat detection engine, see the Sophos Threat Detection Engine release notes.
|MACEP-3604||Resolved an issue on macOS 10.14 Mojave that prevented some customers from connecting to Wi-Fi networks that require a captive portal.|
The threat detection engine has been updated to 3.75.0. For information about the changes to the threat detection engine, see the Sophos Threat Detection Engine release notes.
|MACEP-3668||Resolved a rare kernel panic that can be caused when reading extended file attributes on APFS.|
This release contains compatibility improvements.
The threat detection engine has been updated to 3.74.0. For information about the changes to the threat detection engine, see the Sophos Threat Detection Engine release notes.
|MACEP-3454||Resolved an issue where some systems may hang on boot with certain USB-C devices.|
|MACEP-1054||Issues when Web Protection is used in conjunction with Apple Parental Controls on macOS El Capitan (10.11).
On macOS El Capitan (10.11), when Web Protection is active, sites that are correctly blocked by Apple Parental Controls display a blank page, rather than the expected Parental Control block page.
|The installer will download a full version of macOS when it performs its first auto-update.|
|DEF89762||The Scan now with Sophos Anti-Virus item in the Finder contextual menu may sometimes not be displayed correctly.|
|Issues with copying infected files to a quarantine folder.||If the immediate scanner moves or copies an infected file to a quarantine folder, the action is intercepted by the on-access scanner. This is because Spotlight indexes the quarantine folder when a file is quarantined there.
To work around this, in the Spotlight preferences, put the quarantine folder into the list of excluded folders.
|Certain configuration changes do not trigger alerts in Sophos Enterprise Console.||If you make any of the following configuration changes in the Sophos Anti-Virus updating preferences pages, they do not trigger a differs from policy alert in Sophos Enterprise Console:
- Web Control with Sophos Enterprise Console is not supported.
- Authentication caching in OS X may prevent you from unlocking the preferences panel immediately after an upgrade. To unlock the preferences panel, log out, then log in to your Mac again.
- After you install Sophos Anti-Virus, the Scan with Sophos Anti-Virus command is not immediately contained in a Finder shortcut menu. It appears when you log in to your Mac again.
- After you uninstall Sophos Anti-Virus, the Scan with Sophos Anti-Virus command is still present in a Finder shortcut menu. It disappears when you log in to your Mac again.
- In Sophos Enterprise Console and Sophos Control Center, you can set up email alerting for Virus alerts, Scanning errors or Other errors. Mac OS X computers do not support the Scanning errors option and therefore do not send these alerts.
You can find technical support for Sophos products in any of these ways:
- Visit the Sophos Community at community.sophos.com/ and search for other users who are experiencing the same problem.
- Visit the Sophos support knowledge base at www.sophos.com/en-us/support.aspx.
- Download the product documentation at www.sophos.com/en-us/support/documentation.aspx.
- Open a ticket with our support team at https://secure2.sophos.com/support/contact-support/support-query.aspx.
Copyright © 2020 Sophos Limited. All rights reserved. No part of this publication may be reproduced, stored in a retrieval system, or transmitted, in any form or by any means, electronic, mechanical, photocopying, recording or otherwise unless you are either a valid licensee where the documentation can be reproduced in accordance with the license terms or you otherwise have the prior permission in writing of the copyright owner.
Sophos and Sophos Anti-Virus are registered trademarks of Sophos Limited and Sophos Group. All other product and company names mentioned are trademarks or registered trademarks of their respective owners.